Sandra Longan Designs (Items For Sale)

Monday, September 21, 2015

More Canning from our Garden

I went out into the weed patch that is my garden on Saturday and harvested a large basket of cucumbers, don't know what I'm going to do with them yet, and a 5 gallon bucket of assorted tomatoes. There were beefsteak tomatoes, Roma tomatoes and a medium small red that I can't remember the name of. Plus a small basket of little Yellow Pear tomatoes for salads and snacking.

After all of our hard work of harvesting, peeling, coring and seeding, then cooking for 20 minutes and then putting them through the trusty 'Squeezo' food mill not to mention chopping peppers and onion and sauteing those and harvesting herbs then back into the pot to cook for another 4 to 6 hours to thicken it up, we got a whopping.............

Four Quarts of very yummy Spaghetti Sauce.
Recipe from the Kerr Canning Book.

My hubs said if want to do that again he would rather buy tomato puree instead of going through all the peeling, coring and seeding. 
Of course he did most of the peeling and I did most of the coring and seeding, on the bright side all of our tomatoes are heirloom varieties so I now have three jars of tomato seeds going through the fermenting process to save the seeds. This is my first time trying this, so I hope it works. I'm following directions from gnowfglins.com.

Well that's it for today, so until next time..........

Take Care Everyone
Hugs, Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave your thoughts behind. They are truly appreciated and help keep me motivated to continue doing the things I love.